Monday, April 23, 2012

List Poetry

Poems made of list, most commonly put into slam poetry, always fascinated me. I was also very angry the day this poem was assigned, so I decided it should be my inspiration and therapy.


Well, Did You Grow Up, Every man?


Did you grow up in the slums?
Have you ever had to work for anything in your life?
No.
Everything you have,
was given to you,
 for free,
without consequence.
Without callouses,
without scars, burns,
or blood.
Did you grow up, learning that every man would lie to you?
Hold you close just long enough to use you?
Men have left me in a small pit,
 just big enough to cover myself
with a turtle shell, 
so I can look out, 
but never really be out.
Every man left his violet and indigo marks on 
the women who raised me.
Every man pushed me until I cracked.
Every man I’ve gotten to know has done nothing
but stalk through the weed-smothered
gardens of my insecurities,
waiting,
to check my King.
Did you grow up, cooking for nine with money for two?
Did you hear your name while you hid in the closet,
waiting for someone to rescue you?
No. You didn’t. You played silly games, 
ran outside and played those damn games.
The games I never learned.
You toyed with math and learnings,
 in a little mansion by the sea.
You pranced around with your nose
touching the tops of trees, 
so you wouldn’t have to see me under your feet.
Did you grow up, knowing that one day, I’d say this?
How dare you tell me to grow up?
I grew up all right.
I grew up before I could speak like a woman.
I grew up in a world where I was nothing to you,
any of you. 
Did you grow up in a dreadful place,
where you were ignored,
where people only showed up
when you really only fucked up?
Did you grow up where no one saw you,
until your hips busted into curvature,
and you had to save up
so Victoria could share her secrets with you?
No. You grew up listening,
to the sounds of 
dead men playing music
to quotations embracing your private lessons of life,
the keys to being perfectly satisfied.
You grew up thinking you could stand on me.
You grew up like Every Man.
Well did you?
Did you grow up?
Yeah. I didn’t think so.

1 comment:

  1. Interaction is very important when you are trying to learn how to play musical instruments. In addition, you wouldn't have to commute or drive to the violin school. viola app

    ReplyDelete